Europa-List: Re: Re : IFR certification

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Re : IFR certification
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:49:39

I think our IFR experience in our Europa is like Johns.  Granted we mostly use
IFR to climb or descend thru a cloud deck and for ATC services, especially in
congested or unfamiliar airspace.  Since there is no snow removal at our
airport,
we do not fly much in January or February.

However, we have found our Europa carries ice without adversely changing the
performance.
Obviously we try to avoid icing and usually do.  We have a conventional
heated pitot which draws about 8 amps but with our modified voltage regulator,
we have capacity so it can be used if necessary.  There are more efficient
pitots available today.

Since fitting an adjustable cowl flap, cabin heat and windscreen defogging is
much
less a problem than originally.

Jim, with the guidance of his regular CFII, has developed detailed IFR
procedures
that provide consistent results.  He flies approaches frequently enough to
maintain legal proficiency and he now completes both a Biannual Flight Review
and Instrument Proficiency Check every twelve months (helps with insurance).

Our Europa flies hands off when properly trimmed (both pitch and aileron trim)
and we have no autopilot, so all piloting is by hand.  Approaches are flown at
cruise settings until reaching the Final Approach Fix (FAF) at which point the
airplane is changed to landing configuration (gear/flaps down, power and pitch
for appropriate rate of descent (usually 500 fpm) and 60 kts).

Having an EFIS makes the mechanics of approaches easier because the information
is presented efficiently.  The velocity vector feature of our GRT EFIS reduces
chasing the needles.  Our navigation source  is a Garmin GNS 430, so all
approaches
are setup and performed in a similar manner.  Understanding how the GNS
430 operates and having the skill to use its features is key to IFR flight.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: