Europa-List: Re: Its so long since I bought Araldite /Epibond 420

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Its so long since I bought Araldite /Epibond 420
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 19:09:17

The Aeropoxy PN is ES6240.

One warning I make about this epoxy is that it is white and the hardener is
clear
which means that when you mix it you really can't see if it got mixed properly
by it's color (or looks). I had no issues with this since I am very methodical
about measuring and mixing the epoxy. I always use a timer and mix for 3
minutes ensuring I scrape walls, bottom corners, etc. It always cured properly
so no issue with that but be warned that its color is a bit disconcerting.

It is a bit thicker than 420 but mixes well with flox.

I paid around $70 per quart kit a couple of years ago and bought directly from
PTM&W. As I mentioned, I was told by PTM&W this epoxy is equivalent to that used
in the Cirrus airplane for structural bonding.

Again, if you decide to use it please do so at your own risk but I found it to
be a good alternative for items such as the spar cups, bedding for bonding LG
frame to CM, phenolic guides, etc. I still used 420 for items such as fuselage
bonding, wing skin, stab bearings, tailpost, CM bonding, etc. Using the ES6240
for other not so critical areas allowed me to ensure I would have enough 420
for the critical ones since I had no intention of buying 420 for the price they
want for it these days.

Chris

Read this topic online here: