Europa-List: Re:Algae in fuel tank

Subject: Europa-List: Re:Algae in fuel tank
From: crouton <crouton@well.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 22:12:38

I had this problem with a Europa which had been stored for 15 years.  It was not
algae.  It was a very adhesive varnish deposit which had developed over the
15 undisturbed years.  It required scraping, repeated flushing, and required
using
a borescope to be able to ensure it was completely removed from each surface.
This took days and considerable tool improvisation to accomplish this through
the 2 fuel outlets.  If you have a fuel gauge hole in the top youre lucky.
It was worth it.  In the 4 subsequent years the filters have remained clean, but
I do replace them a couple of times a year,
With regard to storage:
If you anticipate a couple of months storage fillup with avgas.  It iis very
stable
and will not form varnish, nor will it lose octane.
Never store mogas-ethanol fuel for any term and if you do, fill your tank
completely
to prevent the tank breathing due to temperature change and the ethanol
pulling out the airs humidity.
Another reason to store no-ethanol mogas with full tanks, (especially in a
Classic)
in early, non flouridated tanks, is that ethanol will leach plasticisers
out of the plastic tank leading to a tendency to crack due to embrittlement.
I hope this is useful and I wish everyone the delights of the season.
Creighton Smith.  A009

Sent from my iPad