Re: Europa-List: Re: Hacman Gen 3 Mixture Control

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Hacman Gen 3 Mixture Control
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 21:57:27

Thanks Ron,

You say, "full throttle will provide a richer mixture". From my
experience in a previous life flying aircraft with mixture controls, I
understand that a richer mixture on full throttle is usually the result
of the Power Jet. To my knowledge, the Bing Carb has no power jet.

As I alluded to in another post, it appears to me that the lack of
pressure differential across the butterfly valve on the Bing, causes the
mixture needle to rise, enriching the mixture and effectively acting
like the power jet on GA aircraft type carbs. The difference between
the GA type carbs and the Bing then being that the GA ones can be
manually leaned.

looking forward to hearing of your first flight Ron.

Kingsley

On 13.12.19 6:42 am, rparigoris wrote:

> Hi Kingsley
>
> Carburetors mix fuel to air by volume of air. Going up in altitude decreases
the number of air molecules per given volume of air a lot more than the decrease
in temperature. Thus since there are less air molecules for a given amount
of fuel the mixture will be richer than optimal. I will speak general but often
full throttle will provide a richer mixture than less than full throttle. The
reason is to cool the fire by throwing more gas on it! I have a 914 which
complicates
the life of the poor Bing type 64 constant depression carbs but am installing
a Hacman that will work on the 914. Have not yet tested but should be
fine. Mind you if you have control of mixture it can be a good thing, but if
you run hard and lean that can be a terrible thing. If you lean at altitude when
you come down or pull the throttle it will be leaner than desirable so you
will need to add this extra bit to your piloting tasks.
> see Mixture 1 and 2
> http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=27305&g2_page=2
> I am installing 2 EGTs and a Split Second monitor. It uses a O2 sensor to
> drive
it. It allows you to monitor mixture. Unlike a fuel injection system that needs
very fast response time of the O2 sensor, using one in this capacity only
needs a very slow response time. Thus even using Leaded Fuel, should be able
to get 100 hours out of O2 sensor from what I'm told.