Europa-List: Re: HTR-212 Laminating Resin

Subject: Europa-List: Re: HTR-212 Laminating Resin
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 00:04:18

HTR212 should be fully compatible with the resin system used on the original
cowl.
It is a secondary structure , the primary concerns being heat resistance
due to proximity of the exhaust and sealing exposed fibres.

You may have the exhaust too tightly packaged (I.e. you need a bigger hole for
the exhaust outlet).  I have found some strategically placed (bonded on)
aluminium
foil tape really helps in these areas.

The cut edges of the glass fibre structure should be sealed to prevent moisture
ingress.  This occurs at any location where The composite fibres are cut.  This
is a common fault - especially near a heat source, as the accumulation of
moisture
will expand as it boils off.  Repeated cycles of this will degrade the
structure around the exposed hole.  Filler and paint on edges is easily chipped,
so this is not the best sealing solution.   I use a small number of CF tows
bonded onto the exposed edges after the holes are cut.

It goes without saying that you will need to thoroughly prepare the bonding
surface
of the cowl to ensure the new/repaired moulding will adhere properly.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: