Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 5 Msgs - 11/01/19

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 5 Msgs - 11/01/19
From: Paul M 383 <europaul383@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 14:11:07

Hey Gary,

Do you have a part no for that item from Spruce please? I tried all sorts of
search
terms, both on Spruce's site and Google (other search engines are available)...

Cheers,

Paul M
G-PLPM
XS Mono

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Europa-List Digest: 5 Msgs
- 11/01/19

Did an hour and a half flight today but noticed I still have a tiny water leak
which has been plaguing me for almost a year. I had earlier put in a tire like
fitting that allows me to pressurize the water system but it didn't help
initially.
I did have a flight where the antifreeze almost all leaked out and temps
were very high. Didn't do any damage but filled it up and it ran fine. Well,
today saw some antifreeze on the belly (the plane's, not mine). So I tried
pressurizing
again with a bit more pressure (can't go above 1.2 bar - above 18 psi
, or the radiator cap opens). I did this several times and I guess I finally
opened the hole up enough that fluid came out but was still hard amid all the
plumbing and electric wiring to see where the fluid was coming from. So I
drained
the top of the system and finally I could hear air coming out. It was under
a new silicon radiator hose (left side next to carb - goes down to the radiator)
that connects to the radiator cap housing.

The leak directed the water into an almost impossible place to see where it then
ran down the back of a piece of tubing depositing the fluid far from the leak.
I removed the top of the tubing and re-clamped it. The system now holds
pressure.
Will test fly it tomorrow.

I think the leak was very small but when the engine become overheated from the
low fluid, it build up pressure but not enough to blow the cap, or maybe it did.
But the fluid went out the leak and made for a exciting trip home (don't you
love all the alarms from the EIS as you fly?). I lost about 2/3's of the fluid.

The tire fill piece is from AC Spruce and fits the tubing for the carb heat kit.
I imagine one could make up or buy a piece that fits on the top (approximately)
one inch hoses. I realize this is yet another place for failure, but I was
at my wit's end (a short trip) trying to find this leak. It also allows you to
check that your radiator cap is functioning properly.

Gary Leinberger
A237
Lancaster, Pa.

Europa High Top 912S