Re: Europa-List: Help needed understanding uncoordinated flight

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Help needed understanding uncoordinated flight
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 23:53:26

Hi Ron, my 2 cents.

In turning descent or level flight the inside wing will stall first.
I remind myself of:
1. top rudder, in order to lead with the inside wing - slip, not skid
2. apply progressively, not suddenly - do not yank a wing back

I understand that in a turning climb the outside wing may stall first
though.

The fuselage decreases the airflow over the inner part of the wing that
is pulled back, decreasing lift of that wing, compensated with aileron.
I don't think there is fuselage lift involved in explaining anything.

Jan

On 9-10-2019 22:53, rparigoris wrote:

> Hi Group
>
> I was wondering if someone could help me understand an aspect of uncoordinated
flight I just can't seem to get my head around :-(

> I was reading in October 2019 bEAA a Commentary from Charlie Precourt titled
" Loss of control - a survivors story". In short a Kitfox stalled and spun in
having too much bottom rudder in the process. He didn't have a stall warning
indicator.

> What I can't get my head around is a commentary of recalling the aerodynamics
of uncoordinated flight that states a slip has the fuse generating lift and in
a skid the fuse generating negative lift forcing the wing having to create more
lift than in coordinated flight exasperating things and raising the stall
speed.

> Can anyone perhaps better explain to me specifically lift generated by the
> fuselage?
Here's the paragraph that has me confused:
> "At this point, it might be helpful to recall the aerodynamics of
> uncoordinated
flight and why a slip is okay but a skid is dangerous in the pattern. When
we fly a side-slip, for example, to help lose altitude on approach, the fuselage
is generating lift because the top rudder puts the relative wind on the lower
part of the fuselage. This added lift unloads the wings and reduces our stall
speed. On the other hand, in a skidding turn, the relative wind acts on the
upper side of the fuselage, creating down force in the direction of weight,
up the wings, and increasing our stall speed. Just the act of adding the
skidding rudder can induce an immediate stall if the speed we are flying in
the turn is close to stall.'