Re: Europa-List: Re: Engine mount bolts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Engine mount bolts
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 13:41:16

On 2019-09-09, at 12:21, graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk> wrote:

> ah ha, that's it then, the drawing shows AN5-40 which is too short, needs to
be AN5-41 that's 1/8th longer. thanks

Graeme - yes, there seem to be some discrepancies in the manual. The text of
chapter
1 of the engine installation manual (page 1-1, issue 2) mentions AN5-41
bolts, but the drawing (page 1-3, issue 3) on the latest PDF I have, still shows
AN5-40.

But before I go on, I realise that I completely forgot in my earlier message to
mention the 5 washers:

AN960-516L Washer flat thin 5/16

which are fitted to each bolt, and placed in combinations either between the aft
cup washer and the LG frame hole or under the nut, to achieve the correct engine
thrust angle. So, that washer stack also affects the length of bolt needed.

Ive had a word with Inspector Pete Jeffers and he recalls an issue with the
early
arrangements for fitting the rubber (Lord) mounts. His memory (and mine too,
now that it has been jogged) is that at some stage the rubber was found to be
insufficiently compressed, allowing the engine to flop about excessively. The
solution, we think, was to make the tubular spacers (part MT03) a bit shorter,
which probably explains why mine had the /03 on the part number - it sounds
as though there may have been a couple of tries to get it right!

You need to be sure that you have the right combination of MT03 spacer length
and
AN5 bolt, so that the Lord mounts are correctly compressed when the nuts are
fully tightened, and that the bolts are long enough in the first place to start
the nuts on them. The bolts cant be TOO long, or the drilled holes will be
beyond the castellations! We believe that the same combination of hardware is
applicable to both XS and Classic - but a word with the factory might be
worthwhile
to confirm that.

Id be inclined to check with the factory what length of MT03 they are currently
supplying, to see if yours are different.

Hope this is helpful.

in friendship

Rowland