Re: Europa-List: Engine mount bolts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Engine mount bolts
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:38:47

On 2019-09-06, at 16:06, graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk> wrote:

> Im just fitting my 912 to LG01 (classic) and am having problems tightening
> sufficient
to get split pins in (I recall my last build had some odd split binx
nuts not these). I can get the nuts on but cant find to holes for the pins.
Doing
the sums there is insufficient length to get to them by a couple of mm.
> I need 99.7 max and have cup washers (1.65 x2), spacer 45, LG02 45.6, 4
> washers
(.84 x 4) and 4.25 nut thickness to get to the nut castellation which all comes
to 101.51; 1.81 mm too long? It aint going to go. Maybe I have the wrong
spacers (MT03), these were missing and I had to order them.
> Any clues appreciated.

Graeme - I have just re-fitted the engine mount to the LG frame on my XS (not
sure
if there is a difference in the relevant hardware between Classic & XS).

I found that with everything assembled, the ends of the bolts were barely
visible,
more or less flush with the cup washers. I could just get the upper nuts started
on the bolt threads, but could not on the lower bolts until I squeezed
the cup washers slightly with pipe pliers. Once the nuts were started by hand
there was no problem in getting them wound in by spanner until the drilled hole
in the bolts started to become visible as the nut castellations passed them
(had to adjust the bolt orientation so the holes were where they could be seen).

My hardware (as called out on the inventory supplied from the factory) was:

MT01/914 engine mounting frame
AN5-41 Bolt drilled 5/16-24x4-1/8
MT02 cup washer - engine mount
MT03/3 spacer - engine mount
MT04 vibration absorber - engine mount
AN310-5 Nut - castellated 5/16-24

My engine is a 912S - I guess that the mount is the same for 912S & 914, but I
dont know about the plain vanilla 912. Sorry, I dont feel inclined to dismantle
my mount again to measure my parts for comparison with yours :-)

Hope this may be of some help but I guess folk with the Classic/9112 combination
would be better placed to give a definitive answer.

in friendship

Rowland