Europa-List: Re: Glide Ratio

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Glide Ratio
From: Europa48 <corinthian@me.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 06:18:15

dpark wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea of the glide ratio of a Trike feathered or
> otherwise??
>
> Dave

Apologies for not answering your question.

It will always be less than you think! An engine failure at any given height
will
not automatically give you the published maximum distance to find a landing
site. Having flown helicopters which pretty well go to the place almost directly
under your feet when looking out of the cockpit and also having had several
engine failures over the years I would not consider looking at the altimeter
and think "Oh, 4,000 I should be able to g X miles from here." There are too
many variables out there the will come into play.

I once had an engine stop on finals to Shobdon in a Bonanza and although I could
see the runway less than 2 miles away from 1500 feet I just picked a field close
by and went there and landed with practically no damage save for some barbed
wire scratches to the wings when I went through a fence.

I don't think I would have made the runway tempting as it was.

Read this topic online here: