Europa-List: Tailplane freeplay

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane freeplay
From: tarnish7 <tarnish7@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 00:45:54

Question for you experienced and knowledgeable guys.  I noticed vertical
freeplay
in the tailplanes of my XS Mono,  Standing at the tip of the left tailplane
facing the fin, I can lift the tip about 12 mm and when it stops moving there's
a small but definite "clonk".  Mods 58 (trim tab drive pins) 62 (tailplane
torque tube pins and 70 (mass balance arm) have not been embodied.

I took the torque tube out - fun job, that - and the good news is that the
bellcrank
(TP9) and tailplane drive plates (TP5) are a good tight fit with no play
and on TP 9 and tightly fitted pins.  The plastic sleeves are a loose fit on
TP9 but  there's negligible sideways free play on the assembly when installed,
so they're correctly positioned laterally.  The vertical freeplay I noticed
appears
to be coming from the fit between the TP5 drive plate and the TP11 bearing
bonded to the fuselage with the left side showing a bit more freedom than
the right side.

So, the exam question is, what's an acceptable level of vertical freeplay
arising
---From a less than perfect fit between TP5 and TP 11?

The aircraft's done about 300 hours total time since build in 2003.  I didn't
build
it, I bought it much later.

Any feedback would be valuable, thanks.

--------