Re: Europa-List: Ground plane question...

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ground plane question...
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 10:27:09
FLARM and SSR antenna in my Europa. They work fine with plenty of range and n
ot impeded by the fibreglass fuselage.

VHF comm antenna is dip=C3=B4le mounted on the rear fin as per the build man
ual. Again no range problems and all discretely mounted inside the aircraft.

Alan Burrill
Sent from my iPad

> On 17 Aug 2019, at 09:45, david park <dpark748@me.com> wrote:
>

> Mine works fine on aluminium ground plane inside behind rear baggage wall,

> Regards Dave Park G-LDVO
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 17 Aug 2019, at 04:14, Jeffrey Williams <jeffwill55@sbcglobal.net> wro
te:

.net>

>> Maybe this one is for Bud Yerly, but anyone can chime in.
>>
>> I am installing instruments in my Europa XS and was told all transponders
 need a ground plane. My research indicates a 12 inch circle of thin copper o
r aluminum will do, but that the ground plane and the antenna should be outs
ide the aircraft so things like the engine and other  metal stuff doesn
=99t interfere with the signal. I have a Mode C and a Mode S to deal with
and a GPS and Comm antenna too, but those don=99t seem to need a
 ground plane. I am being informed that these antennas need to be at least 4
0 inches apart as well. Also, I have been told that putting the antenna itse
lfoutside the aircraft and the ground plane inside is a bad idea that screws
 up the signal.

=========
=========
=========