Re: Europa-List: Re: Frequencies and 8.33 Channel numbers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Frequencies and 8.33 Channel numbers
From: Groups <groups@thegoddards.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 20:30:33

When set to 8.33 you select channel numbers and not frequency:
Channel 134.100 is 134.1 MHz 25 KHz
Channel 134.105 is 134.1 MHz 8.33 KHz

You do not need to set your radio to 25KHz mode access the original 25KHz
frequencies,
just dial in the appropriate channel number and it swaps from 25 to 8.33
spacing automatically.

Vince
G-BWUP & G-BJAF
Europa          Cub

Sent from my iPad

> On 25 Jul 2019, at 17:18, JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Hi Europa48,
>
> The short answer is probably "yes", based only on our local situation where as
soon as we leave our airfield 8.33 channel, we must talk to Aberdeen Offshore
Radar on frequency 134.1 MHz which is on the original 25 KHz spacing. My Icom
radio is quite difficult to switch between 8.33 and 25 KHz modes, causing too
much distraction while attempting to do so.

> Therefore I have Aberdeen Radar 134.1 MHz permanently in the list of memories,
which causes the radio automatically to operate on 25 KHz mode only when
accessing
a specific memory. If I then choose to turn the two selection knobs for
some reason, they resume functioning in 8.33 directly without any input from
me.

> If I were to change the radio to 25 KHz mode, then the selection knobs would
operate in 25 KHz steps, which would be unwise because almost all airfields and
airports have gone over to 8.33 channels. The only reason that Aberdeen Offshore
remains on 134.1 MHz is because it's Rebro, having 3 additional satellite
rebroadcasting stations on such remote locations as offshore platforms. To
change
all that would be a considerable challenge.

> I'm not an expert in this field, but I suggest that you should leave your
> radio
set in 8.33 mode and put any old 25 KHz frequencies into memory.