Europa-List: UCMF Beefing up for Mono

Subject: Europa-List: UCMF Beefing up for Mono
From: rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:48:23

Hi Group
I wanted to beef up UCMF on mono before hanging engine. I purchased a nice
reamer
---From McMaster and made an extension so I could ream with UCMF in situation.
Reamer worked well but the hole on both sides is not uniform. Stbd ranges .655"
aft to .659" fwd. The Prt side ranges from .654" aft to .622" fwd. The cluster
weld deforms and reaming the weld hurts operation as well. I'm using a .750"
OD x 7/16" ID 4130 Chrome Moly Tube for insert. Resolution: I cut off Twelve
1/2" slugs of tube, welded to 7/16" Threaded Rod to the slug, then turned
starting
with .649" and ending at .660". I kept tolerance = or (-) two .0001". So
now I have a dozen guages growing in size .001" and began mapping out hole.
Worked great. Tap in place till it gets stuck and remove using threaded rod as
a slug puller. Thus I now have a nice map of each hole and will turn my inserts
.001" undersized. Will let you know how it goes. If all goes well I can lend
out plugs and extended reamer. Just a note: I just completed installing inserts
for Mod 72 and the holes were nice and parallel, the cluster weld down below
is a lot harder on reaming operation.
Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: