Europa-List: Engine Start Problem

Subject: Europa-List: Engine Start Problem
From: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck@cs.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 21:18:18

Hi Europaphiles,

So it's been a few weeks but I have finished up my panel upgrade to a
Dynon EFIS and it all works great - well it comes on at least and my
avionics shop passed the transponder operation.

I went to do my first flight with it this evening and just could not get
the darn engine (Rotax 912UL) to start. Just lots of cranking from the
freshly charged battery.

Obviously I had removed and replaced the panel but everything seems to
work OK, fuel pump, starter, etc. so I don't think there is anything
wrong there - although I would like to make sure the mags are on. The
best way I can think of is to test for a spark. Any recommendations out
there for testing to see if you have a spark? I believe the removal of a
spark plug is not recommended on a Rotax. I felt the hint of a kick once
or twice so I suspect they are good.

My suspicions lie with the carbs - in particular the choke. It is really
stiff and the geometry is such that it never quite fully opens. I
removed the air box and stuck my nose next to the air intakes.
Considering the amount of cranking and choking I had done you would
think I would be able to smell fuel - but couldn't smell anything.
Anyone used some kind of 'quick start fluid' like the kind I use on my
stubborn lawnmower or is that a bit too extreme?

Anything 'more obvious' I can try?

Regards,

Martin Tuck