Europa-List: Elevator trim cutout switch

Subject: Europa-List: Elevator trim cutout switch
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:32:13
I have watched the thread regarding runaway elevator trim with interest.
My panel was built by Aerotronics in Billings, Montana
(http://www.aerotronics.com/) and I have flown for over 1,000 hours
without any trim issues. However, the photo and sketch diagram below
show a trim cutout switch which Aerotronics included in my panel and
this may be of interest to Europa owners. The switch is 3 position :-

  * Up = NORMAL
  * Center = OFF
  * Down (momentary spring loaded) = EMERGENCY REVERSE

Aerotronics comments about this switch are shown here :-

/.we started doing this after a Glastar crashed when they experienced
a trim runaway. This switch allows you to at least stop the trim if it
were to start to run away and even feather it back to a neutral
position using the momentary reverse position. It an easy thing to
wire up. I dont have a professionally drawn schematic but I quickly
drew it up and scanned it here for you to look at. I drew it two
different ways, they are the same exact wiring just one is drawn
pictorially and one electrically/

If you have difficulty seeing the images on the Matronics link, please
contact me direct. I will be happy to send them to you.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina