Europa-List: Re: Fire proof barrier with Jabiru Engine

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fire proof barrier with Jabiru Engine
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 13:46:10

My personal opinion is yes. The reinforcing tubes supplied by the factory as
part
of the Mod 72 kit were about 100mm (4.0) long as I remember. This was intended
to span the area known to fail on the top two tubes.

The latest spate of failures is occurring further inboard on the lower tubes.
For
anyone with a pre 2007 frame, I would suggest reinforcing all four landing
gear mounting tubes for their full length. After January 2007, the factory
produced
the LG01 frame with thicker walled top tubes, so in this case, only the
lower tubes would need reinforcing.

 I am currently overhauling a mono and am actually in the process of writing up
this mod to gain approval from our own regulating authority.

I notice that you fly a conventional gear. Since the landing load paths are
completely
different, I would think that you are highly unlikely to suffer from fractured
lower tubes, so this discussion is probably academic in your case.

Nigel

Read this topic online here: