Re: Europa-List: Performance of 80HP compared to 100HP Rotax

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Performance of 80HP compared to 100HP Rotax
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 10:21:56

Graeme

I totally agree with Kingsley's appraisal. AC has the standard 912 UL
with a CAP 140 variable pitch prop. This allows me to get 5,600 rpm at
start of roll, so getting as much power as possible out of the engine.
Acceleration and climb out are no problem. The only time I would like
more power is at max weight (1,300 lbs) on a hot, cross windy day, we
then get a closer look at the far hedge that I like. Initial climb when
clean is around 800 to 1,000 fpm. Cruise is 120 kts at 14 to 15 litres
per hour, depending on weight. You can wind it up to 130 but the fuel
consumption increases.

Just worth checking I seem to remember that when the weight increase mod
to 1,370 lbs was introduced that the PFA would only approve it with an
80 hp engine if using a variable pitch prop.

Pete
G-RMAC Classic mono #109