Re: Europa-List: Re: Arplast Propeller problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Arplast Propeller problems
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 12:56:48

It is perhaps of interest that Woodcomp advise cycling their props
through fine/coarse as a pre start check, which suggests that their
structure (along with Airmaster's) is significantly more durable than
Arplast.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2019-01-08 08:58, John Wighton wrote:

> The PV-50 and other electric VP/CS props are designed for light weight and a
relatively low hours life before overhaul/replacement. Most spam cans with CS
props use hydraulic fluid driven by a pump - this by definition does not work
at all without the engine running to provide hydraulic pressure.

> So, is it unreasonable for the PV-50 and Airmaster types to restrict the
> normal
operation to engine running only (except for maintenance and setup)? Perhaps
not.

> Looking at SUMMARY OF PROPELLER DESIGN PROCEDURES AND DATA. VOLUMEs 1, 2 and
3 it is evident how complex the aerodynamics, loading and consequent analysis
can be.

> Any propeller system should be able to withstand loads imposed for maintenance
and troubleshooting. If the design is such that accumulated detritus results
in component overload - the design is not robust and it is questionable whether
it is fully fit-for-use.

> I recommend following the maintenance requirements of the propeller. If,
> following
the work, problems still exist it may be a case of replacing suspect items.

> My own experience is limited to Airmaster - the earlier version which l use
> does
require periodic attention to the brushes (these seem to stick and sometimes
wear unevenly), prop backplate (contact quality and cleanliness) and the earlier
motor is somewhat slow (later ones being much quicker stop to stop).

> --------
> John Wighton
> Europa XS trigear G-IPOD
>
> Read this topic online here: