Re: Europa-List: Re: Arplast Propeller problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Arplast Propeller problems
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:11:43

My first thought would be to check the Brushes for wear, cracks, length and
broken
wires.

> On 7 Jan 2019, at 16:26, BobD <rjd@bobdawson.plus.com> wrote:
>

> I had a problem with my PV-50 Propeller and CSC-1 Controller yesterday, and
> whilst
researching it on the forum, came across the posts below, which are the
nearest to the problem I experienced. My Europa has approx 60 hours on the Prop,
but the Prop was purchased many years ago (don't know the exact date but judging
---From the documentation probably not long after 2000). It has been performing
as expected since installation.

> After take-off, and switching from TKO to CLM Mode, I noticed that the engine
RPM remained near maximum, and looking at the reading on the CSC-1, it was
displaying
40%. I tried changing to MAN mode but couldn't increase or decrease the
Pitch. I throttled back to reduce the RPM, but this impeded my ability to climb.
As it was a short flight, and I could maintain height, albeit at a slower
speed than I normally fly, I continued at low level to my destination. Once
I landed, (and at reduced RPM i.e 2500) the Pitch Controller functioned again
through the full range.

> 90 minutes later the Prop and Controller functioned through the full range in
my pre-flight checks, but exactly the same thing happened following climb out,
and all the way back home. I did notice a small change in the CSC-1 Pitch
readout
the closer I got to home, but can't recall if this was as I throttled back
in the approach. Back on terra firma, the Prop again functioned through the
full range.

> So it would seem the Pitch will alter at pre-flight RPM (2500-400), but not at
5000+

> I didn't have time on my return to inspect the electric motor assembly, but
> plan
to do this in the next day or so. Apart from cleaning and re-greasing the
worm assembly, and checking again the full range of movement, has anyone any
further
suggestions, or potential explanations as to why this could happen ?