Re: Europa-List: Usa flight question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Usa flight question
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 09:54:45

Will, I once came back from the Arctic in winds of 30 to 40 kts in air
which produced the most turbulent flying conditions I have met Up to
around 3000 ft AGL.I landed at Fenland (Norfolk, UK) with actual on
final 26 gusting 38 kts fortunately straight down the runway. It wasn't
too troublesome, partly because it is in the middle of a very flat area,
but landing in high winds can produce severe turbulence from eddies, if
there are nearby high trees, buildings or hills. I would certainly not
have attempted to land had it not been very close to runway heading -
would have chosen to land in a farm field. There is also increased wind
shear to expect on approach - you can suddenly find yourself missing 10+
kts of airspeed, and you should sensibly keep a higher than normal speed
until you are fairly close to the ground. Steering a mono was difficult
on the ground other than into wind and it was impossible to turn right
and only just possible to turn left without someone walking a wing.

Have a good trip. David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2018-12-26 21:32, William Daniell wrote:

> Costa rica and Nicaragua have high winds this time of year. San Jose is 20G37
today for example. It is all central and west side so my intention is to stick
to the Caribbean side to avoid this, however one never knows.

> Fortunately it's all down the runway. Does anyone have any experience of
> landing
in this sort of wind and any advice? I've done 16kt straight down the runway
which was no drama.