RE: Europa-List: Re: Noseleg bungee/spring replacement

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Noseleg bungee/spring replacement
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 23:39:48
Well said,

The bungee is just fine.  Most likely the hopping nose is a bungee too loos
e.  Also the cable stop has to be adjusted properly to minimize the deflect
ion and prevent a prop strike.

I too always put a rubber bumper on the actual frame not the stop post.  I
didn=92t change my bungee out for the springs until about 300 hours.  It wa
s fine, I just wanted to do it.

I really liked having it tight enough that I could put 200 pounds on the fr
ont of the engine and not pull it off the peg.  Two men of about 360 pounds
 total sitting on both footwells should stretch it off the stop.  I think t
he bungee is 12 mm and very tight for the gap between the frame and firewal
l.  If that space is smaller than 3/8 inch, put on the springs.  If the bun
gee needs to be changed, I always recommended installing the springs, but i
t is heavier and on the nose.  It takes me about 1.5 hours to put the sprin
gs on and about the same for the bungee.  However, those of you who use the
 metal firewall as on the mono, I feel for you.  See my previous postings o
n firewalls for the trigear.

Tightening the nose gear bungee is in Chapter 29T.  Prep the bungee by tyin
g a .025 safety wire around the cut end to squeeze it tightly.  Remember yo
ur scout training on how to whip the end of a rope?  Same technique with th
e wire.  It keeps the end small and tight.  I tie the other end off at the
bottom,  Then thread the wire through the gap and pull the bungee through c
arefully.  Pull down tightly and use a wood shim to jamb the tight bungee u
ntil I can get it back down and around the bottom.  Two guys help, one on t
op and one on the bottom.  The guy on the bottom can pull the bungee easier
 than the guy on top.

For the Mod 71 springs, round the ends of the spring to ease slipping it on
.  The rest I have pretty completely reviewed in my Mod changes made some y
ears ago.  I use .016 stainless Reduxed on to the bottom and top spring han
gar areas to prevent the spring from chewing into the soft 41 series steel.
  It stays clean and neat in there, no rust or paint chipping that way.  I
also hook the spring at the top and hook on to the bottom.

If you are wondering how I keep weight off the nose gear, I don=92t=85  I h
ave an exhaust clamp and two threaded rods holding the gear hard against th
e stop while I do the first spring.  Then I knock out all the springs with
the help of my hefty assistants stretching the spring.  Wear gloves, as the
 spring will pinch/crush your fingers hard.

Have fun, I do.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window