Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 08/26/18

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 08/26/18
From: gilrod@tiscali.co.uk <gilrod@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 07:33:07

----Original Message----
From: europa-list@matronics.com
Date: 27/08/2018 7:34
Subj: Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 08/26/18

*

   Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive

Today's complete Europa-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below.  The .html file includes the Digest
formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked
and Message Navigation.  The .txt file includes the plain ASCII
version
of the Europa-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter
18-08-26&Archive=Europa

Text Version:

    http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter
18-08-26&Archive=Europa

   EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

                           Europa-List Digest Archive
                                      ---
                     Total Messages Posted Sun 08/26/18: 3

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

     1. 02:49 AM - Exhaust No 4 downpipe split  (graeme bird)
     2. 08:00 AM - Re: Exhaust No 4 downpipe split  (JonSmith)
     3. 09:57 AM - Re: Exhaust No 4 downpipe split  (graeme bird)

________________________________  Message 1
_____________________________________

Subject: Europa-List: Exhaust No 4 downpipe split
From: "graeme bird" <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk>

Spotted an exhaust spring on the floor; on investigation found 2 had
broken, port
outside front and starboard inside front. Changed them and had a good
inspect
but only just noticed a small line near the top of No 4 downpipe (rear
port).
On closer inspection, and removal of the small carb bowl shield I had
wired
onto the pipe, to my horror I saw the crack went 3/4 of the way round
the back
of the pipe  up near the bend (I have seen other reports of this). I
had wondered
about the general discolouration of engine frame etc. around that side
of
the engine. It was just so hard to spot. I thought the engine had been
sounding
a little different and maybe it was a contributing factor to a couple
of hicks
i'd had recently.
New item ordered from CKT and fitted (said 4 on the new flange but 1 on
the old
one).

--------
Graeme Bird
G-UMPY -  Mono Classic/XS FFW 912S, Woodcomp SR3000/3W CS, trutrak
Gemini 2 axis
AP, PAW, PFLARM core, ads-b out, 8.33khz, mode S, FP-5, Aera500, SD on
Nexus,
Smart A3
350 hours &amp; 6 years on the Mono, 930 total
g@gdbmk.co.uk

Read this topic online here:

________________________________  Message 2
_____________________________________

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Exhaust No 4 downpipe split
From: "JonSmith" <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>

Graeme,  I dont know if the following is of any relevance to you but I
had a history
of identical cracking to yourself on my 912ULS.   Both rear down pipes,
twice each side.  The photo attached shows the first time one went.
Also numerous
springs lost too.

My engine was second hand to me, I had the first down pipe crack within
5 hours.
 Although the engine was generally very smooth running I had an ongoing
problem
with vibration immediately after starting (NOT kickback) and also when
throttling
back during descent after cruising flight (unloading the prop).   This
high frequency vibration was teeth chatteringly severe but only lasted
a few
seconds each time.   I learned to live with it by modifying my starting
technique
and my initial descent technique but looking back now I fully believe
it
was this that was causing my exhaust to fail.

On my description, Kevin Dilks immediately diagnosed it to be worn prop
shaft splines.
He said this was common on ex-weight shift microlight engines which
mine
was, due to their foot-throttles and very slow idling RPM habits.
Kevin
fitted a new prop shaft and the result was absolutely fantastic.   All
vibration
problems completely gone for good and the engine is now like a sewing
machine.
 Touch-wood my exhaust has stayed in one piece since and Im very much
hoping
that issue has been cured too....!

The new prop shaft was seriously expensive and I put it off for a while
but it
was actually the best single payment for maintenance that Ive ever made
on the
machine.

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono

Read this topic online here:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/48447328_3c26_4c04_9c95_355b72a47f88_464.jpeg

________________________________  Message 3
_____________________________________

From: "graeme bird" <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk>

Interesting Jon,  I think, from the discoloration,  mine has been
cracking over
a period starting at the weld. I am now at 400 hours and had the engine
from
new. But I will keep my eye on it and watch for vibration. I cant say I
have had
any particular vibration at start up although there has been the odd
start
when the prop seems to stick and needs a reprime and re start.

--------