Europa-List: Replace undercarriage leg

Subject: Europa-List: Replace undercarriage leg
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 18:04:25

My friend did a heavy arrival in his Rans S6, getting pushed sideways by a
sudden
gust which bent the right u/c leg, broke the nose wheel leg and propeller,
but very little else was harmed. The engine is away for shock load testing and
we've replaced the nose wheel leg. Our LAA inspector is satisfied that the
airframe
including the socket for the bent leg is completely unharmed.

The reason I'm asking for your advice is that it's possible for a leg to get
bent
and need replacing in a Europa, which has a similar leg fitting into a similar
socket. I don't know whether the Europa leg comes with the hole pre-drilled
for securing in the socket, but the leg for the S6 doesn't.

We've read the aircraft build instructions, which show making a simple jig with
angle iron and attached pads to ensure that the axles are aligned. For me the
scary bit will be trying to mark the exact centres on the side(s) of the leg
for the entry and exit holes through the solid leg, to coincide exactly with the
holes in the socket. The leg steel is extremely hard and cobalt drill bits
are required, to be drilled at slow speed with plenty of cooling fluid, while
the leg is supported in V-blocks.

Even marking the leg with a centre punch might be easier said than done, so
considering
that I've never attempted such a task before and how expensive the leg
was, your advice is sorely needed.

Read this topic online here: