Re: Europa-List: LEAKING OIL ON PROPSHAFT BY GEARBOX

Subject: Re: Europa-List: LEAKING OIL ON PROPSHAFT BY GEARBOX
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:29:05

Hi Bill,
I have had this before. Most likely spots of grease from the prop hub after
maintenance.
Slightly over packed grease around collars. Slowly becomes less and
less as time goes on. Check the bore collars for correct tightness and wipe away
excess grease.
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Mob +64 210640221

> On 11/07/2018, at 2:02 AM, willydewey <willydewey@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Guys
> i am after some help
> I noticed over the last few weeks an oily mist on the screen, stbd side after
a flight. now oil is smearing the lower cowl beneath the propeller. The oil is
also spraying on the propeller slip ring and clogging the carbon brushes and
so causing slow or intermittent changing of the Airmaster propeller. The total
oil loss is minimal its just inconvenient and messy.
> Do you think the seals around the prop have failed and is this because a
> bearing
is failing also? Is it a straight forward job to repair and are special tools
required? I regreased the Airmaster propeller a few weeks ago and firstly
imagined I had overgreased but now i am convinced its oil fro the shaft. I have
checked the breather in case it was blocked as that might have caused the
problem