RE: Europa-List: Mtow+

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mtow+
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 01:48:26
Will,
The maximum I have taken off with is 1600 lbs.  Gary Leinberger has also.
I do not recommend normal operations beyond 1450 for anything resembling no
rmal operations.  I have a number of clients that operate at 1450 lbs. take
off weight.
To ferry an aircraft, or one time flight in the best of conditions, conside
r using the following guide lines:

The CG should be narrowed slightly to 59 inches to 62inches above 1450 lbs
takeoff weight until sure of operations with a further aft CG is verified.
 .

I flight tested my aircraft and a couple others (including motor gliders) a
t these higher weights and found if balanced about 61-62 inches at takeoff
weight, the handling is quite acceptable and very comfortable on cross coun
try as the fuel burns off to minimum fuel.  Most Europa aircraft with prope
r Annex E full control throws will fly even at the max aft CG up to 1450 po
unds, Due to loading limits of the baggage bay, I have not been able to loa
d a 1600 pound aircraft to CGs beyond 62 aft...

 Example:  No other aircraft in my chapter could fly the larger linemen on
the football team, so I did with full fuel.  It was the first time I rotate
d and nothing happened.  But it flew well as I had been there before and wa
s confident in my and my aircrafts ability.   The CG was 59 inches with the
 350 pound pax, 190 pound flight bag, and full 100 pounds of fuel and a 10
pound flight bag and handling was adequate but the nose was definitely heav
ier than normal but flare out was possible at the higher weights

Remember:  Anything forward of 59 inches at 1450 pounds, it gets a bit too
nose heavy to enjoy, and keeping the nose wheel off during landing is quite
 difficult for some.

On to some guidelines:
Using simple ratio and proportions one can easily stay within the design st
ress limits of the aircraft.  The gear are good to 1600 pounds on a smooth
landing as the gear were originally the RV 4 gear designed for a GW of 1500
 lbs. for normal operations.  Our gear socket in the trigear may get wallow
ed out a bit if ops on rough fields is done for many hours but it takes a l
icking.

I use the following G limits for over gross on a placard and in the POH:

STRUCTURAL LIMITS:

+3.8g / -1.9g at 1370 lbs.

Max recommended:

+3.5g / -1.79g at 1450 lbs.

Max overload condition:

+3.25g / -1.6g at 1600 lbs.

The CG Range should be reduced by one inch to 59 max forward, 61.5 to 62 ma
x aft above 1370 pounds unless tested.

Remember the stall speed increases with weight.  By calculation:
Stall Clean / Dirty:            45/49  at 1370
                                                48/52 at 1450
                                                49/56 at 1600
Warning:  The pre-stall characteristics may be significantly reduced as GW
is increase beyond 1370 and at CGs move near the forward or aft limit.

Handling characteristics should be practiced at higher takeoff and landing
weights to determine the aircrafts handling characteristics.  Some ideas fo
r takeoff and landing testing at these higher loadings follows:

Takeoff:
Lower flaps to 10 to 15 degrees max for takeoff.   (Trigear) (Reduces that
old sinking feeling if pulled out of ground effect.)
Rotation speed is higher for the trigear and mono.
Once pitch is set for takeoff with the nose wheel off the pavement (Trigear
), or slight tail down pressure (Mono), do not over-rotate maintain a low p
itch angle.
Takeoff speeds are increased so plan accordingly.
Maintain pitch and allow the aircraft to fly off the runway at a shallow an
gle.
Accelerate in ground effect until 65 Knots and reduce flaps approaching 75
Knots and climb at a shallow angle until desired climb speed is achieved.
Consider climbing at 80-90Knots for additional cooling.

Landing Pattern:
Increase approach speed to 65 to70 minimum using half to full flaps.

Note:  If using an aux tank in the baggage area, after the fuel is burned o
ff and with minimum fuel in the main tank, the CG may be quite far forward.
  Do a complete analysis of the CG and its shift with fuel loading prior to
 attempting flight outside the original POH guidelines.

Minimum speed on final should not be reduced below 60 until in ground effec
t with a forward CG.

Warning:  If approaching steeply at 55 Knots and at reduced power setting t
he aircraft will develop a significant sink rate that cannot be recovered f
rom at forward CGs, idle power and low airspeeds.

Practice like you are going to fly and you will fly like you practiced.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window
s 10