Re: Europa-List: Re: Turbulence and resonance

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Turbulence and resonance
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 17:22:01

In my early days in my mono I hit some severe turbulence related to
Welsh mountains. Fortunately my straps were tight or else my head or the
canopy might have been the worse for wear. However when I came to put
the gear down the lever stopped about 1/2" from the detent. Clearly the
inertial forces on the undercarriage had forced a shift in the three
bolt join with the gear lever. In the end I managed to get it into the
detent by pulling like h++l with my right hand and thumping that hand
with my left whilst flying with my knees. Otherwise I was going to land
simply holding the lever back once throttle closed, hoping that the gear
was overcentre and not about to snatch the lever out of my hand. Morals:

1.Beware rota in mountain lea in high wind conditions.

2. Drill out bolt holes to give a tight fit and bond that joint when
initially fixing it.

Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

On 2018-06-19 16:57, Ivor wrote:

> I know yesterday was forecast for severe mountain waves in scotland
> and personally i wouldnEUR(tm)t have flown :D
> but i have flown in moderate to severe turbulence, I usually slow down and
> tighten
the seat belts and put the Propellor into manual,
> then itEUR(tm)s the case of riding it out, but other than a slight shudder
> when
you
> get a updraft with negative G i find the Europa excellent in rough air in
> comparison to spam cans,
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480984#480984 [1]

Links: