RE: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Management

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Management
From: Mike Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 12:10:40
Kevin,

A cautionary tale: you do not need a leaking tank to lose fuel
unexpectedly en route.  My friend completed his pre-flight checks just
before we set off for a 30-minute hop, but on arrival someone spotted we
were leaving a trail of fuel as we taxied in.  We had lost about 20
litres in that short time because the drain valve had not properly
re-seated after the check. Had it happened the next day, we should have
run out of fuel over the middle of Spain if we had not had an
alternative gauge to warn that the totaliser was no longer showing what
was in the tank, and given us a chance to land before it all went quiet.

Of course, the saddle in the Europa tank means that the engine will
cough while you still have 9 litres or so in the reserve side, but a
means of cross-checking the totaliser would provide more warning of the
impending trouble as well as alerting you to the leak =93
otherwise the initial reaction might be to assume a blocked filter was
causing starvation and you still had fuel above the saddle that would
feed the reserve side.

Best regards,

Mike

Dr Mike Gregory