Europa-List: Static problem?

Subject: Europa-List: Static problem?
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 09:08:43

Two or three years ago our Garmin GMA 340 audio panel was damaged apparently by
nearby lightning strike - we saw flash in far distance and then had to use
copilot
ptt.  Garmin repaired for $600 and said it was destroyed by lightning.

On our trip to Petit Jean we were in some precipitation and getting bounced.
ADSB
was showing lots of colors but it was just a short distance and ATC had opposite
direction VFR traffic above us.  Suddenly, no audio again.  When we were
in the clear we found we could transmit by powering off the GMA 340 and hear
ATC with it powered on but in PA mode.

We talked to SteinAir and purchased a new Garmin GMA 240 audio panel partly in
hopes that the newer technology might be more resistant to being damaged and a
new 240 was about the cost of repair of the 340.

Stein, the owner, suggested we might want to add a single static wick to each
wingtip
and the top of the tail and connect them all together to our common ground
point using #20 or so wire.  The idea to drain off built up charge.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and whats the opinion on static wicks?

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: