Europa-List: Europa Trigear with Rotax 914 running out of steam at FL200

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Trigear with Rotax 914 running out of steam at FL200?
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 05:44:09

Hi Europa Folks,

maybe some of you (especially in the US?) with a Rotax 914-powered Trigear can
help me evaluate the high altitude performance of my bird.

It is an XS TG 914 (no Intercooler) with Airmaster CS-prop. On two flights
yesterday
(DA around 20.000 ft - ISA+10C) at a mass of around 560kg (1235lbs) my Europa
did 105KIAS at WOT and 5500RPM (I have no MP-gauge). Although still climbing
with around 500FPM at 75KIAS I instantly loose altitude when transiting to
Level flight and handling feels quite a bit "spongy".

Erich Trombley posted a picture of his EFIS schowing 126KIAS with his Mono N28ET
at a DA of 19500ft at 5310RPM.

The fuel consumption up there was only about 21 l/h (5,5 GPH), so that my
assumption
is simply, that the 914 can't deliver the appropriate power for the heavier
and more draggy Trigear for better performance.

At FL100 at MCP and a FF of 26 l/h (7 GPH) I see 130KIAS.

Any idea what to expect up there at FL200?

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914