Europa-List: Question re carb balance tube

Subject: Europa-List: Question re carb balance tube
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 11:52:48

Perhaps Bud would be kind enough to give a definitive answer to this, but anyone
else who has certain knowledge regarding this topic might also be willing to
enlighten me. A friend who also has a Europa sent me some links, as follows:

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax-forum/4-general-discussion/4509-balance-tube

www.zenith.aero/forum/topics/flygas-intake-manifold

https://www.flygas.info/2017/06/18/311/

My friend believes that the earliest Rotax 912 engines had no carburettor
crossover
balance tubes and ran roughly, particularly at low speed. The solution was
the balance tube, but perhaps Rotax tried out the diameter of tube we all know
and found that it did a good enough job of smoothing things out, whereas they
could have got a better result if they'd experimented with larger diameters.
Who knows?

Anyhow I'm not rushing to buy the Italian mod kit costing 700+ because it's not
approved by the UK LAA and any unapproved modification fitted to aircraft in
this country renders aircraft insurance invalid.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jonathan

Read this topic online here: