Re: Europa-List: Re: Newbie questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Newbie questions
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 19:27:34

Simon,

Keep working!

853 lbs is certainly doable with the mono wheel if you build light, build per
the
plans (no mods) and use the lightest engine/prop combination.  It is more
difficult
with the tri gear as all that steel landing gear crap is heavy.

My tri has a 913 lbs empty weight.  My C/G ranges from 58.44 to 61.97 depending
on loading state.  It is difficult to load out of C/G range.

My Europa has the ROTAX 914 with Airmaster C/S prop.  The panel has the small
GRT
Sport EFIS with the GRT EIS 4000 engine monitor, Microair radio and transponder
and Garmin GPS Map 496. In addition I have 2 1/4" standby turn coordinator,
airspeed, altimeter and vertical speed.

My guess is that the weight will change a bit when I finish installing the ADS-B
2020 equipment as I have to go back to the big instrument panel to make room
for some extra boxes.  When the 2020 thing is finally installed I will have a
new panel without the standby stuff and the Microair transponder.  But there
will be a new TRIG transponder and 2020 approved GPS.  I hope to have that
installed
and working later this year.

The most challenging part of the work is to keep building.  Finishing the job is
the hardest part.  Dont quit.  Do something every day.  I really dont remember
anything that was difficult.  Well, maybe getting the peel ply out of the flap
root & tip ends was frustrating but not difficult.  I have met and talked
to lots of builders who just could not keep building and quit.  Dont be that
person.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (100 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com