Re: Europa-List: Re: Algae in Fuel Tank

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Algae in Fuel Tank
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:16:18

Many thanks Nigel. It seems to have decreased lately after checking the filters.
Will monitor the situation closely.
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Mob +64 210640221

> On 23/10/2017, at 12:48 PM, Nigel Graham <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Hi Tim,
>
> There are two potential problems, both caused by ethanol in the fuel and both
exacerbated by long periods of inactivity.

> If you are experiencing a blotchy opaque jelly like substance that sinks to
> the
bottom of the tank and collects in your filters, this is most likely water
contamination in the fuel that has undergone phase separation - the ethanol
combining
with more water than it can bond to, eventually drops out of suspension.

> Typical causes are a leaking fuel filler cap letting water in during heavy
> rain,
or condensation forming in the air space of a half empty tank in an aircraft
that has been left standing for a long period of time during the misty, clammy
or humid winter months.

> The second problem really is a bacterial infection. Airborne acetobacter that
breed during the autumnal months in the fruits and berries found in the
countryside
can come into contact with the ethanol fuel via the tank breather pipe.
These feed on the alcohol and produce acetic acid as a by-product. This turns
the normally non-conducting fuel into a conducting mild electrolyte. The acetic
acid will then begin an electrolytic reaction between the brass and copper
components in your fuel system and the softer alloy components - which will
corrode
ferociously. The most obvious place to check for this is the Bing float
bowl.

> Our aircraft have the same life cycle as our lawnmowers. They get dragged out
in the springtime, are used on weekends (if the weather is good) and then get
dragged back into the shed/hangar in the autumn and forgotten for another five
months. Problems almost always occur after the planes are left with half full
tanks (big air space) for long electrolytic of time.

> Cars, that use the same fuel don't seem to experience the same problems
> because
they are used throughout the year and fresh fuel is constantly flushing through
their fuel systems.

> Since we can no longer get mogas without ethanol, the only way to prevent this
contamination/corrosion is to ensure that the tanks are always left full at
the end of every flight (the least possible air-space in the tank) during the
flying season. At the end of the flying season, the tanks should be flushed, or
run dry, then filled with a few litres of 100LL (that does not contain ethanol)
and the engine run to draw this through the whole system. The aircraft can
then be laid up.

> I have pictures that illustrate of both problems - but can't post them up at
the moment as I am away from home.