Europa-List: Full trigear speed kit vs hinge fairings only

Subject: Europa-List: Full trigear speed kit vs hinge fairings only
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:16:49

I'm reliably informed that the full trigear speed kit, in accurate flight tests
before and after installation and flown level at Wide Open Throttle in calm air,
showed a full 10 knot speed gain. I'm also informed that the same test performed
at 65% power (4800 rpm, 26") gives about a 5 knot gain.

But I would prefer to fit only the flap and fuselage hinge fairings, partly
because
they weigh altogether approx. 1 kg while the full speed kit weighs 4.1 kg
(9 lbs). Presumably the flap hinge fairings must give some drag reduction
benefit,
or else why would they be included in the kit?

Please would you tell me from your own experience how much speed is to be gained
in the cruise with only flap/fuselage hinge fairings fitted. Thanks.

Read this topic online here: