Europa-List: Tri-gear to Mono Conversion

Subject: Europa-List: Tri-gear to Mono Conversion
From: clivesutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 08:33:26

G-YETI and its owner is flying, having recently completed 5hrs type-conversion
with Andy Draper under the LAA pilot-coaching scheme.  Not sure how many have
gone in this direction - but i'm keen to try and persevere with it.  Compared
to a 910lb empty Tri-gear, my 825lb empty Mono performance with gear and flap
up is really an improvement.

Essential handling advice from Andy was:  1) stick fully back to keep the
tail-wheel
in play at TO start - and as soon as the a/c is settled on the ground during
landing, 2) gradually let the pressure bring the stick forwards on TO so
that its just aft of neutral at unstick speed (44kt in my case), 3) use aileron
to counter sidewinds as required - again, to be more or less neutral at un-stick
on TO, 4) gradually open the throttle at TO and use sustained bursts of throttle
during landing if a balloon occurs .  I've also been gradually using the
same approach for landing the Mono as i would for a night landing - i.e. gradual
reduction of power and trying to land the tail first - rather than definite
'flair' actions, 5) anticipate nose-up at flap/gear lever operation 6) if
a bumpy strip launches you into the air close to flying speed on TO, judicious
stick forwards can recover the tendency to 'wallow' in ground effect.

We fly a lovely aeroplane whatever type we have.  All that development time was
worth it . . .

Read this topic online here: