Re: Europa-List: Re: Alignment of pitot tube

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Alignment of pitot tube
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 09:31:30

Tony, I suspect you just might be overthinking it. I would expect the
dynamic pressure on the pitot tube to relate to the cos of the angle to
the air flow and cosines of small angles are very close to one - hence
for instance minor angular deviations from a direct line route make very
little difference to total distance travelled. In fact cos 85 degrees is
0.9962, so 5 degrees off straight gives less than 0.4% difference,
barely perceptible in our speed range. would place it where the manual
suggests (or possibly where the premoulded position is on the XS wing if
you have access to one) and then angle the tube parallel to the
underwing surface there as airflow is bound to be close to parallelto
the surface locally. I suspect that its position on the wing is more
important than the precise pitch angle but you could assume the Europa
recommended position is best as long as your pitot is not significantly
shorter or longer than the standard one.

Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

On 2017-09-05 22:40, tonyvaccarella wrote:

> Thanks David,
>
> This is the initial installation as the aircraft has not flown yet. The way I
see it I could make the pitot tube parallel to:

> 1) the Chord Line
> 2) the bottom wing (not sure if they are the same) or
> 3) the flight path
>
> Am I overthinking this?
>
> Many thanks
> Tony