Europa-List: Re: aileron balancing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: aileron balancing
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 06:41:15

You are correct Graham.

BTW, When I wrote the email, in haste before going to work this morning, I
mentioned
adding the lead strips on the sides of the balance horns but I missed something.
And as I kept hearing when I visited London this summer: "Mind the Gap"
:)

A quick calculation yields that if you place 366/2=183 grams on each horn you
need
about 16cm^3 and with a tape that is 3/8" wide x 6.3 mils thick you need about
11 meters. Thanks a lot I think.

So it seems that the option you have is shed some weight on the TE of the
aileron
is to sand paint off but the question is: are you sure it's a paint issue?
Will sanding the paint be enough?

BTW, on the question of tolerance on the balance, and please keep in mind that
although I am an Engineer I am not an Aerodynamics, in Engineering there are
always
tolerances to everything. If something is off a little from nominal and
it fails then you have a design problem. With that said, I wouldn't know how far
off it can be before it is an issue.

BTW, in the LongEZ, the aileron balance condition is not to the chord line but
to the bottom of the surface your are balancing (in the orientation it is being
balanced). It is then much less demanding that in the Europa which calls for
level chord line (but I need to check on that, I don't have my LongEZ plans here
at work but "almost" sure). And to be honest, when I rebalanced my ailerons
for the buzz problem, I didn't quite level the bottom surface but I was darn
close. Then again, it is documented that the balance of the ailerons in the
LongEZ
is not as critical as the elevator.

I hope this doesn't stir ugly debates. As a Design Engineer, I am faced with
decisions
and compromises every day so I am trained to question these things and
used to having these conversations. But if there is a lack of information to
make a decision that deviates from the instructions, I would err toward the side
of meeting the written requirements. Your decision.

Chris

Read this topic online here: