Europa-List: Re: Conversion guidance help needed from newbie :-)

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Conversion guidance help needed from newbie :-)
From: Scudrunner <howardbrooksster@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:08:40

Hi Jeremy, I'm sure lots of people will pitch in, but I just wanted to say that
I've been flying my Europa Classic Monowheel on an NPPL for the last 10 years
or so.

Monowheel is a bit like a taildragger and a bit not like a tail dragger. There
is a very good write up by Mike Gregory referencing John Brownlow on ground
handling
a monowheel. I tend to paraphrase it by saying keep the tailwheel on the
ground for as long as possible on take off and get it on the ground as soon
as possible on landing - this is not classic taildragger, where you often hold
the tailwheel off the ground. There should be plenty of people available to help
convert via the LAA or Europa club. The bit I struggled with was the height
reference - the monowheel is very low to the ground, much lower than most things
you might train on. My only taildragger experience before the monowheel was
on a 3 axis microlight and I did my NPPL conversion on a Bolkow Junior. I did
get expert Europa club conversion on to the monowheel and can't overstate the
value of that to me.

I admit that I largely stick to grass and avoid significant cross winds - this
might be a problem if I used the aircraft for touring, but I don't, I just fly
for the fun of it.

I don't think that the monowheel is difficult to handle, it just requires a
specific
technique and perhaps a more sensitive hand? (you can't just plonk it on
and apply the brakes!)

Best of luck. It might not be easy, but it's certainly possible

Read this topic online here: