Europa-List: Re: Making fibers straight during UNI layup

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Making fibers straight during UNI layup
From: spcialeffects <spcialeffects@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:47:35

Hi Chris. Don't worry about how long it takes you to complete the task, the more
you glass the quicker and better you will become. What I found worked best for
me was to draw lines at 30 degrees on the foam core in both directions, then
put down the micro slurry. Leave it there 5 or 10 minutes and then scrape it
off. Now roll your cloth on dry following the lines the best you can. Once the
cloth is on the foam don't try to adjust each individual strand try to look
at the whole piece and get an overall straightness by pulling the corners to
straighten
the strands. When the weave is say 70/80% there then move the parts
your not happy with. I think the tolerance is + or -10%. However doing it this
way the only wetness is that of the slurry so you can quite easily move the
cloth
to correct the weave. Once your happy with the position of the cloth mix
up some resin and pour it on the cloth and at first spread it around lightly so
as to not move the cloth and once the cloth goes translucent then you can apply
more pressure with the squeegee.

Hope this helps, good luck and enjoy,

Regards Frank.......classic kit #165

Read this topic online here: