Re: Europa-List: Aileron LE Vee layup

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron LE Vee layup
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 15:22:25

Chris, You may get a definitive answer from a real expert, but I would
say that it would not matter whether you :

1. Stretch it to cover; 2. put it on at an angle slightly less than 45
degrees to cover or 3. use an extra piece and overlap the pieces. But I
would personally reject 3. as being less neat and heavier.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2017-07-05 14:40, n7188u wrote:

> Hello to the Europa community,
>
> I am making good progress on my XS and have the two ailerons skinned. A little
slow due to vacation and work travel but getting there. I am in the process
of doing the layup for the leading edge vee cutout for the aileron hinges (step
5) and I have a question:

> Can you do this layup with a single length of 45 biased BID or do you need to
splice two pieces? BID can be stretched (with corresponding change in fiber
bias)
but its generally acceptable up to point. I starter with 6-5 inch wide strips
but at a final 4 inches wide I am just a hair short of the full aileron length.
It's possible that a wider piece may do it but I am starting to feel I
am pushing it too hard. Just trying to see what people did since the manual
makes
you believe a single long piece will be enough (no mention of splicing or
cutting more than two full length pieces).

> BTW, I do have a web site where I am documenting my build. Will make the
> address
public soon!

> Thanks,
> Chris