Re: Europa-List: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit
From: Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 14:12:56
http://www.mini-box.com/picoUPS-120-12V-DC-micro-UPS-battery-backup

This board coupled to a sealed a very small 12vdc battery and the aircraft e
lectrical system will give you a backup 12vdc that is charged from the aircr
aft but switches over in the event of power loss so quickly the instrument c
ontinues to work.

Kevin Challis
G ODJG

> On 21 Mar 2017, at 11:44, BobD <rjd@bobdawson.plus.com> wrote:
>

> Now that the LAA have approved the use of electronic ASI & Altimeter for b
ackup purposes as an alternative to steam driven instruments, I am consideri
ng installing a combined unit in my aircraft as a backup to my Dynon Skyview
.

> http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/TechnicalLeaflets/Mo
ds%20and%20Repairs/TL%203.20%20EFIS%20in%20LAA%20Aircraft.pdf

> The pre-approved one I prefer (on clarity and cost grounds) from the LAA d
ocument is the MGL ASX-1. However, it has one major drawback in that it does
 not have a built in battery backup.

> Having spoken to a distributor, he suggested a 9V PP3 battery (possibly sw
itchable in the circuit) would be sufficient for emergency power if the main
 circuit failed. However, I would prefer a re-chargeable battery, re-charged
 through the aircraft system, so as not to have to worry or check that the b
ackup battery is maintained in a charged state. Despite trawling the web, an
d there being several commercial units and amateur wiring diagrams out there
, I have found none that are specific for incorporating in an aircraft.

> I am reasonably competent with a soldering iron, but less so in the theory
 of such things, so would be happy to construct my own on a PCB, from a deta
iled wiring diagram. Does anyone know of such a diagram, or a suitable light
weight and cost effective commercial device suitable for installation behind
 the Control Panel?

=========
=========
=========