Europa-List: Re: Sun 'n Fun, and a Heart Attack.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Sun 'n Fun, and a Heart Attack.
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 14:22:49

I am sure that Bud will do very well and be back to flying by summertime!

Too many coronary stents are placed in the US.
Further, and relevant to the current discussion, there are
two different stent technologies: BMS and DES. DES currently requires
life-long treatment with powerful anticoagulants which I have often seen
lead to life threatening intracranial bleeds (which I had to treat), or various
and sundry other forms of hemorrhage, like Bud described, which may
sometimes also be life threatening. BMS stents are cheaper and only
require a short period of anticoagulants.

Witty observers of the current health care system have said that some
cardiologists view the human body as simply a delivery system for the
heart to arrive at the next cardiology appointment. The effects of DES-
mandated therapy like modern, potent, irreversible anticoagulants
on other organ systems are not often duly considered.

For a nice review of the situation, follow this link to a recent Atlantic
Magazine
article. I should mention that I worked with Dave Brown for several years.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/02/when-evidence-says-no-but-doctors-say-yes/517368/

For a recent technical journal article on BMS vs DES, there is this from the
New England Journal of Medicine:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1607991

--------
Ira N224XS