Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912 Exhaust Spring Clip Faliure...

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912 Exhaust Spring Clip Faliure...
From: david park <dpark748@icloud.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 18:14:06

Jon,
I flew back from Spain and on landing back at Sleap i later found three springs
broken. ???? Carry spares now!!
Dave Park

> On 11 Feb 2017, at 17:41, David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net> wrote:
>

> Jon,
>
> On more than one occasion, I have discovered after landing that I have
> suffered
a spring loss on my Classic exhaust and there has been no side effect, so I
would say that so long as there is only one joint effected you can fly like it,
although I would not do too much flying in that condition.

> As for welding a new clip on, that should be straightforward although you have
to find somebody able to weld stainless steel, which shouldn't be a real
problem.

> As for a replacement pipe, Europa may have one, but failing that CKT
> Engineering,
near Exeter will be able to sort one out for you. They did for me a couple
of years ago.

> Dave Watts
> G-BXDY Classic Mono 912S   2300 hours
>
>> On 11 Feb 2017, at 17:13, italianjon <jon.catilli@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone had the clip fail? I've attached a photo.
>>
>> Is this:-
>>
>> 1) Safe to fly, in so far as to a mechanic?
>> 2) Can I weld on another clip, or is it a new piece of exhaust pipe?
>>
>> I have a classic with a Rotax 80Hp fitted, this is the exhaust pipe from
>> Cylinder
2. so: -