Re: Europa-List: Finishing/ painting touchup?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Finishing/ painting touchup?
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 20:27:00
Hi Jon,

It is easier to use an HVLP spray gun for all paint or primer jobs, if avai
lable, but

I have used aerosols for the speed kit and don't see any reason why it shou
ldn't be used on other parts. The importance of UV protection is overrated
in my opinion, unless your aircraft is parked all year round in a place lik
e Arizona. The best way to protect the fibreglass from UV is to use a dark

primer. I originally used an expensive 2-part epoxy primer and paint, but n
ow feel that a regular basecoat with a clear lacquer on top, just like on m
illions of cars, is adequate, and easy to repair.

Cars retain their finish for many many years.

Talking about cars, I have ordered a paint kit for mine, as I want to take
care of a rusty area. You can get these kits on ebay.co.uk, and they consis
t of 400 ml aerosol basecoat, mixed to any colour code,

plus 400 ml of clear lacquer, at very reasonable cost. Of course for your F
ord white Halfords should be good enough.

Karl