Europa-List: Re: Yet another Smartphone app for Aviation

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Yet another Smartphone app for Aviation
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:13:20

Hi Rowland!

The FAA complicates things a bit with regard to the night times.
Here are the three relevant times in order of daily occurrence:

Sunset (standard) - for 14 CFR 91.209 aircraft safety lights

Civil Twilight (center of solar disc 6 below horizon)
     for 14CFR 1.1 logging night flight experience

Sunset (standard) Plus 1 hour - for 14 CFR 61.57
    for passenger carrying currency in night landings and takeoffs

As you can see, regular sunset (with one hour plus) is used twice.

The GPS coordinates for the current calculations are easy to overlook
until you get used to the display, but look under the Change Location button.

I should take a peek at amending the location field to include the
aerodrome identifier or the town as suitable, but the GPS should
always be there.

The calculation for nautical twilight is a simple add-on, and while it
may add clutter to the display, I held off because I have no clue
as to how to acquaint the boating class with the app.
Pilots are hard enough ;)

Do know that I very much appreciate the feedback and I would like
to know if UK and EU pilots might benefit from other time points!

Regards,

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: