Europa-List: Yet another Smartphone app for Aviation

Subject: Europa-List: Yet another Smartphone app for Aviation
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 07:20:53

Hi All,

Kerry at Lockwood has finally rebuild my 912s and I hope to get down
to Bud's place to remount the engine and get back to flying within the
next few months!  In the mean time, I am still fiddling with code.

First, let me note that the bug which prevented all barometer apps
(think avAltimeter) from working in iOS 10 is now resolved in the
newly released iOS 10.1.  iOS 10.1 now prevents many apps from
displaying landscape mode properly, but at least the altimeter is working!

My new app is called Aviation Sunset Calculator in the App Store
(on your device it will be "Civil Twilight" (it's shorter for display!)).

This app provides all three night and day times required by FARs
for night operation.  What makes this app unique among the sunset
apps already out there is that I perform all the celestial mechanics
calculations inside the phone/iPad.  Other apps use the internet to
call out to the Naval Observatory or some other time server. Other
useful features in this app include an internal database of all
aerodromes with runways, worldwide, and the ability to change the
the date forwards or backwards in time.  If you do have an internet
connection, you can even find the twilight times for any valid street
address on earth.  So, for example, you can use this app while
airborne to find the expected twilight times at your destination.

Since the FAA makes life interesting with regulations mandating three
different times to reference for night operations, I also include the
relevant FARs in the app's Help pages.

The web page for this app is   http://www.aviametrix.com/sunset/
The web page for the altimeter app is   http://www.aviametrix.com
The world-wide METAR app is at   http://www.aviametrix.com/metar/avwx.html