Europa-List: Life Batteries

Subject: Europa-List: Life Batteries
From: Klaus Dietrich <klaus.dietrich@me.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 13:46:40
Hi Clive,

I'm using a SuperB 7800 in my Europa (912) since three years with the standa
rd Ducati regulator; didn't have any problem with it even in very cold winte
r conditions here in Austria! Never had to recharge it either!
The Ducati regulator delivers 14,2V which is exactly what is needed and spec
ified by SuperB to charge the LiFe cells!
The battery is mounted on the right side, top of the footwell.
Before I had an Odyssey Battery PC545 at the same place; CG still ok.

http://www.super-b.com/en/aviation/sb12v7800p-cc

(we have the same Battery in a LOM powered B=C3=BCcker and in a Lycoming pow
ered Christen Eagle)

Cheers,
Klaus

Subject: Europa-List: LiFeO4 batteries?
From: "Clive Sutton" <clive.maf@googlemail.com>

I need to replace my PC680 AGM battery.  The weight advantage of choosing on
e of
the new generation Lithium iron phosphate batteries is stunning (several kg)
.
The weight-saving comes at a price premium of course.

Does any Europa owner have one of these LiFeo4 batteries in service and in p
articular:

1) What is the typical life of these batteries (experience data preferred ov
er
product information)?
2) What UK supplier did you use?
3) If you have a Rotax 912S, which battery did you choose?
4) As a result of the weight save, did you have to relocate the battery to p
reserve
W&B, and if so where did you site it?
5) Do the LAA care about the fitment of these batteries/any permit complicat
ions?

All comment appreciated

Clive
G-YETI