Europa-List: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground

Subject: Europa-List: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 03:22:47

Hello,

I have the conventional XS cowling with the 914 and overheating might occur on
the ground in high OAT's (25-30C). I've shut down the engine once when reaching
118C and then I could hear the 50/50 antifreeze boiling lightly. Does anyone
know roughly the temperature gap between the CHT/CT (I only have a CHT gauge)?

I've read on another forum, that increasing to 2700RPM (and switch to a courser
pitch?) brings down the temperature. I also have a water Thermostate installed,
which I'll remove in a first step to lower the CHT-temperatures on the ground
and increase the time until I have to shut down the engine (when reaching 115C
CHT). With this measure I (hopefully) increase the oil temperature at the
same time (oil cooler partly covered by Radiator) so that I can taxi and take
off earlier, since I don't have to wait for the oil to warm. Same goes after
landing
regarding the cooling run for the Turbo, when the CHT is creeping up quickly.

What are your experiences especially without water Thermostate on the ground in
high temperatures / measures to avoid overheating?

I want to start with simple things before modifying the cooling tunnel, because
I "only" have issues on the ground and quite satisfying setup for flying. Also
modifications often end in a never ending story and often the only practical
solution might be the best compromise...

The cooling of the XS is only sufficient for English summers I'm afraid :-)

Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914

Read this topic online here: