Europa-List: RE: Are you ready to takeoff for Oshkosh

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Are you ready to takeoff for Oshkosh
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:44:52
Hi Bud, Sorry to hear of your starter problem.  I took an early flight t
his morning in preparation for OSH. I had made a couple of modifications
 that I wanted to prove out.  I must admit I didn't sleep very well wond
ering if the Gremlins would come out to play as they did for you.  I am
happy to report all went well.  Beautiful sunrise over Las Vegas. I am p
lanning to arrive at OSH late Saturday afternoon, weather permitting.  C
an't wait to catch up with all of the Europa builders and flyers. Safe t
ravels to all. Erich TrombleyN28ET Classic Mono 914   Bud wrote:In the r
ush to get your bird ready, don&rsquo;t cut corners, have a safe flight
or drive and bring your shopping list.

 See you all on or about Sunday afternoon.

 I was looking at the weather and did my flight planning. I&rsquo;m read
y to go... Well sort of. I went for a confidence flight today (which did
n&rsquo;t raise my confidence) in preparation for leaving on Thursday to
 visit my Mom on the way up. Over the last three months 12AY has been fl
ying great. In preparation for the Thursday departure I changed the oil,
 and put in a new battery yesterday, however, my confidence flight went
poorly today as 12AY wouldn&rsquo;t start at all (starter now removed as
 it is spinning at only 250 rpm on crank, unless charged to 13 volts, an
d on disassembly one nut was found stripped and the armature was coated
with baked on grease due to a worn front seal (only 400 hours). I had a
poor mag check (350 drop initially and 300 after running it up) so I pul
led the right carb to get to the starter anyway, and found a leaking rig
ht carb bowl, I hope I have the &ldquo;O&rdquo; ring. I could smell gas
in the cockpit and noted I developed a small fuel leak at the vent hose
fitting (I tightened the clamp and it seemed to work). The climb and cru
ise checks to 10,000 went well but the fuel low light came on at 17 gall
ons (I hope all I need to do is reset parameters on my fuel totalizer).
Worse yet my wife says I have to buy some new clothes with her tomorrow
evening. So it will be a long, long, day tomorrow, but I am really looki
ng forward to seeing you all. If the plane cannot be repaired and operat
e at 100% by tomorrow on its confidence flight, I&rsquo;ll drive up in t
he car.

 I&rsquo;m heeding my own advice to be safe and not cut corners.

 See you all there!

 Bud Yerly

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.