Europa-List: Re: 4 Pin Soft Start Module

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 4 Pin Soft Start Module
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 03:15:31

Hi Bob,

Here's what I know. The soft start modules seemed to become unfashionable after
Ducati ignition modules with built-in spark timing retardation became standard
fit to some Rotax engines. This delayed spark feature during start-up lasts
for several seconds and then reverts to normal timing advance.

Up to about 2 years ago there was a special offer through Skydrive to buy a PAIR
of ignition modules for about 500 total and I took advantage of this because
I was having starting difficulties. Presumably this special was because they
knew of the starting difficulties the old modules were causing and certainly the
new units cured my "kick-back" problems.

Now to your question. A friend of mine also with a 912ULS engine wasn't
satisfied
with the performance of his sparking system and heard of somewhere in the
Netherlands
where he could send both his modules for refurbishment. This involves
opening the supposedly solid-state modules and replacing the questionable
original
electronic components with high spec stuff. Here's are two links

main_page=index&cPath=671_2711_4731

https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?

As far as I can recall he spent less than 400 total and the turn-around time was
quick. Probably it'll cost somewhat more now that the pound has weakened. The
result was a great improvement in his opinion and well worth the money,
particularly
when it is considered that a pair of new modules would cost around 2.5k.
He's been flying with the refurbished modules for over 6 months and I haven't
heard of any dissatisfaction.

What I don't know and would like to, is whether the refurbished units
incorporate
the temporary retardation of timing for start-up, because it's VERY necessary
for my Europa Classic which can't accommodate the longer and more powerful
starter motor.

I'll ask friend Iain whether he wants to make further comment.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Read this topic online here: